Friday, July 11, 2014

Make your own....

I am learning a lot about food since starting my Whole30 journey.  I am also becoming more mindful about what I put into my body and the consequences that it will have on my energy levels, thought process, joints etc.  It has forced me to read packaging a lot, and initially I was annoyed all the time because it seemed like everything had sugar, sulphites,wheat or lactose. This annoyed me only because I then felt I had nothing to eat, what was I supposed to do, survive on air and water?  Fast forward to today (Day 19) and I am looking at packages and shaking my head because these 'foods' do not need all these additives, fillers, sugar.  I shake my head as I watch others fill their trolley with these products completely oblivious to what is really in those 'foods' and consequently how it will make them feel.  So I have set about teaching myself to make as much from scratch as possible.  That way I am in complete control over every ingredient.  I will share some of my trials with you here and hopefully we can learn together. 

First up is Mayonnaise.  Let's start by looking at the label of a store bought Mayonnaise. 
I was a bit confused by the glucose -fructose syrup, wheat starch, thickener, flavourings and colours.  Why does mayonnaise need all these things? What do these do to our bodies?

I did a bit of searching online and came up with a recipe that is quick, simple and made from ingredients that most of us have in our kitchens.  Below is what I used. 
 It isn't the same huge list of ingredients that is for sure.  So to make your own kick ass mayonnaise, add  the following to a blender - two whole eggs, 2 tablespoons on lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of a spice of your choice - I used curry powder but traditional mayonnaise is mustard powder, pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper, with 1/4 cup of olive oil.  Blitz for approximately 30 seconds.

Next you have to add 1 cup of olive oil to the previously blended mix.  However DO NOT just dump the whole cup into the mixture, this will cause it to split.  You need to slowly pour it in, while the rest is blending.  As you are pouring it in you will be able to see the mayonnaise start to take shape and the mixture will thicken. 
Once the cup of oil has been added, continue to let the mixture blend for approximately 30 seconds longer. Then voila your mayonnaise is ready and it will taste so much better than any store bought bottle. 
Place your mayonnaise into an air tight container or jar and keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week. 

I have been using my mayonnaise in salads like Nom Nom Paleo's Madras Chicken Salad.  It is also delicious mixed through my scrambled eggs in the absence of any dairy. 

What is your favourite way to use Mayonnaise?

1 comment:

  1. It's good to know you're finding new ways of looking at things. Anything that benefits you can only be a good thing.

    Take care and best wishes.

    :-) :-)

    Matt

    ReplyDelete